Job Title: Senior Reporter
The International Business Times, a global online news publication, is looking for reporters to join its United States-based News team. These reporters already have expertise, authority and trust and an established source network on their beats.
These reporters can either work out of our office in New York City’s Financial District or from their home.
For this position, International Business Times is looking for reporters with experience and authority covering one these topic areas:
- Global economic matters
- Artificial intelligence and other breakthrough business-to-business technologies
- The future of energy: Including topics such as the battery supply chain, renewables, etc
- Financial technology: Including startups, venture capital and legacy actors
- Digital Life: Including streaming, business-to-business technology and social media
The successful candidate will be:
- Experienced covering one of the specified beats and already writing with expertise and authority.
- Trusted and respected by their readers and editors
- Hardworking and passionate about covering the news in a truthful, fact-first manner.
- Skilled in newsgathering, reporting, news analysis and working in an online-first media environment.
- Familiar with search engine optimization and modern news consumption habits.
- A self-starter who’s able to produce quality work without constant supervision.
- Ready to grow their career in a deadline-driven, international news environment.
- Identifying the top news of the day on their beat.
- Covering international and domestic hard, business news in a timely manner on their beat.
- Creating impactful, smart and original news content.
- Pitching and following through with independent, original coverage.
- Attending daily assignment meetings with their editor and fellow reporters.
- Several years of real-world experience in a physical or digital newsroom focused on business. Entry level applicants will be not be considered for this position.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or equivalent experience and education.
- Strong news judgement and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Proven ability to write clean news copy in Associated Press style.
- Social and new media (video, podcast, etc.) skills are a plus.
Questions you’ll be asked:
- How many years of professional business journalism experience do you have?
- What kind of source network do you already have?
- Would you be ready to write great news stories immediately upon hiring?
- Can you access top level sources and uncover new information not found elsewhere in the world of news?
- Are you expert in covering the activities of publicly traded companies?
- Can you write multiple well reported news articles in a single day?
- Why are you interested in this particular position?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- What are your salary needs and why?
- Are you willing to undergo a media background check?
Are you qualified and ready to work?
Please send us:
A cover letter outlining your experience, approach to journalism and why we should hire you.
Qualified applicants will interview with the an editor at the International Business Times over the phone and/or over video chat and will be asked to take a writing test. The successful candidate will be offered a contract and will be considered by IBT to be an independent contractor.
IBT Media is a fast growing global digital news organization, delivering news and insight to over 20 million monthly readers across the world. With innovations across the newsroom and the platform, we are engaging a new generation of readers with content that speaks to their interests, analysis that serve their businesses, and insight to make sense of a globally connected world.