Latin Times Managing Editor
Job Title: Latin Times Managing Editor
IBT Media is looking for an experienced Managing Editor to join our team leading news coverage for LatinTimes.com.
Our ideal candidate is dedicated, detail-oriented, curious, efficient, and a team player. As part of the job, you will:
- Oversee digital content for LatinTimes.com website, mobile and social account.
- Ensure digital content is grounded in audience to drive engagement.
- Recruit and manage a team of editors, freelancers, and other editorial staff.
- Provide day-to-day team support to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
- Collaborate and coordinate coverage with editors and other editorial staff over video conferences, emails, and instant messages.
- Own the editorial update of the site’s homepage
- Ensure journalistic standards of clean copy, top-quality stories are met.
- Work directly with Editor in Chief on newsgathering for your team of editors and reporters
- Assign and plan original, exclusive, investigative reporting and creative enterprise features
- Approve and reject pitches from reporters
- Write and report when necessary
- Stay on top of new trends, best practices, and Google algorithm updates as it relates to news topics, content marketing, SEO, and lead generation.
- Assist with hiring, training, and ongoing coaching.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in digital news
- Prior management experience for at least 5 years in a newsroom setting overseeing a team of reporters & editors
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field: English, Communications, Journalism
- Prior experience with digital analytics (Chartbeat, Adobe Analytics etc.)
- Experience using CMS and digital tools: HTML, Photoshop, video editing
- Strong SEO and social media skills
- Knowledge of AP style
- Exceptional knowledge of current events, politics, entertainment, sports and trends related to Hispanic community in the United States and the Latin American countries, particularly Colombia, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil
- Fully bilingual English/Spanish with ability to effectively edit content in English.
- Proficiency in Portuguese a plus
- Proven organizational ability to ensure editorial standards are upheld, demands from across company platforms are addressed and smooth handover is made to next shift
- Ability to pivot between breaking news stories and in-depth projects with longer deadlines
- Ability/flexibility to work mornings, evenings or weekends as required; possess “on-call” mentality and be prepared to work under emergency or breaking news conditions
- Ability to engage effectively with colleagues across a variety of cultures and time zones
About Latin Times
Latin Times aims to be a light for the Latino Community in the United States and beyond. The light that highlights the rich culture, stories and accomplishments of everyday Latino’s, business leaders and politicians, and exposes the corruption and disparities within and against the Latino experience.
A unifying voice for Latino’s, Latin Times strives to build a family-friendly publication serving the next generation of Latino’s, in every medium and every platform.
IBT Media is a fast growing global digital news organization, delivering news and insight to over 20 million monthly readers across the world. With innovations across the newsroom and the platform, we are engaging a new generation of readers with content that speaks to their interests, analysis that serve their businesses, and insight to make sense of a globally connected world.