Editor of IBT US
Job Title: Editor of IBT US
The International Business Times, a global online news publication, is looking for an editor to join its United States-based News team. This editor already has expertise, authority and trust and can either work out of our office in New York City’s Financial District or from home.
For this position, we’re looking for someone with experience editing long- and short-form copy in breaking news — including markets, companies, earnings, economy, government decisions and global affairs — technology, energy, fintech and new economy.
The successful candidate will be:
- Experienced editing news for a fast-paced, real-time, online media organization.
- Hardworking and passionate about covering the news in a truthful, fact-first manner.
- Familiar with search engine optimization and modern news consumption habits.
- A self-starter who’s able to produce quality work without constant supervision.
- Ready to grow their career in a deadline-driven, international news environment.
- Working with other editors and reporters to identify the top news and deliver timely breaking news, scoops and features.
- Covering international and domestic hard, business news in a timely manner.
- Editing and fact-checking.Managing the homepage.
- Consistently producing impactful, smart and original stories.
- Attending daily assignment meetings.
- Real-world experience in a physical or digital newsroom focused on business. Entry level applicants will not be considered for this position.
- In-depth knowledge of business, economy, markets and technology.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or equivalent experience and education.
- Strong news judgment and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.Proven ability to write and edit clean news copy in Associated Press style.
- Social and new media (video, podcast, etc.) skills are a plus.
Questions you’ll be asked:
- How many years of professional business journalism experience do you have?
- Would you be ready to edit great news stories immediately upon hiring?
- Are you an expert in covering the activities of publicly traded companies?
- Can you edit multiple well reported news articles in a single day?
- Why are you interested in this particular position?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- What are your salary needs and why?
- Are you willing to undergo a media background check?
- Are you qualified and ready to work?
Please send us:
- Your resume
- A cover letter outlining your experience, approach to journalism and why we should hire you.
Qualified applicants will interview with an editor at the International Business Times over the phone and/or over video chat and will be asked to take a writing test.
IBT Media is a fast growing global digital news organization, delivering news and insight to over 20 million monthly readers across the world. With innovations across the newsroom and the platform, we are engaging a new generation of readers with content that speaks to their interests, analysis that serve their businesses, and insight to make sense of a globally connected world.