Breaking News Reporter
Job Title: Breaking News Reporter
The International Business Times, a global online news publication, is looking for a reporter to join its United States-based News team. This reporter already has expertise, authority and trust to cover breaking news and can either work out of our office in New York City’s Financial District or from their home.
For this positions, International Business Times is looking for a reporter with experience and authority to cover:
- Major global and US general news, including government announcements, elections, politics, obits, etc.
- Significant economic data, interest rate decisions and their impact on global markets.
- Relevant price moves in stocks, currencies, commodities.
- Corporate announcements, such as earnings, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions.
- Sports, entertainment, media.
The successful candidate will be:
- Fast to react to breaking news, being able to quickly produce high-quality and accurate stories
- Trusted and respected by their readers and editors.
- Hardworking and passionate about covering the news in a truthful, fact-first manner.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Familiar with search engine optimization and modern news consumption habits.
- A self-starter who’s able to produce quality work without constant supervision.
- Ready to grow their career in a deadline-driven, international news environment.
- Identifying the top news of the day.
- Covering international and domestic hard, business news in a timely manner.
- Consistently producing impactful, smart and original stories.
- Attending daily assignment meetings with their editor and fellow reporters.
- Real-world experience in a physical or digital newsroom focused on business. Entry level applicants will not be considered for this position.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or equivalent experience and education.
- Strong news judgment and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Proven ability to write clean news copy in Associated Press style.
- Social and new media (video, podcast, etc.) skills are a plus.
Questions you’ll be asked:
- How many years of professional business journalism experience do you have?
- Would you be ready to write great news stories immediately upon hiring?
- Are you an expert in covering the activities of publicly traded companies?
- Can you write multiple well reported news articles in a single day?
- Why are you interested in this particular position?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- What are your salary needs and why?
- Are you willing to undergo a media background check?
- Are you qualified and ready to work?
Please send us:
- Your resume
- A cover letter outlining your experience, approach to journalism and why we should hire you.
Qualified applicants will interview with an editor at the International Business Times over the phone and/or over video chat and will be asked to take a writing test.
IBT Media is a fast growing global digital news organization, delivering news and insight to over 20 million monthly readers across the world. With innovations across the newsroom and the platform, we are engaging a new generation of readers with content that speaks to their interests, analysis that serve their businesses, and insight to make sense of a globally connected world.